Thursday, March 29, 2012

Automating the importation of an Oracle table into Sql Server 2000

Hi guys,

I figure this should not be a complex one. I know how to manually pull in data from Oracle 9i into SQL Server 2000 using DTS. However this is my issue....

I simply want to automate the pulling in of data from 1 table in my ORACLE 9i database into another table in my Sql Server 200. I was hoping I could simple write a stored procedure that would sort of utilize a dblink like in ORACLE and then schedule that procedure. Is this feasible in Sql Server, and how would one go about setting this automated import up??

Thanks in Advance all.........

'WaleDid 9i ever come out with an export utility?

Your best bet is to schedule the Oracle export, TRUNCATE the SQL Server table, then do a bcp load or BULK INSERT...

or you can set up a linked server in sql server and do a delete and an insert from the oracle table...

The latter will incur more over head...but will appear to be easier...|||problem is that the ORACLE database is not in my control. So I can't just schedule an export.|||I wonder if you can bcp out data from a linked server...

look into sp_addlinkedserver

You must authority to that box, right?|||yeah I do have authority on the SQL Server box. i'll look into it.|||You'll have to look into sp_addlinkedsrvlogin as well

No comments:

Post a Comment