Saturday, February 25, 2012

Autogrowth for MDF and LDF files

I have a SQL 2005 DB that its MDF file is growing at a rate of 1 GB per day, I currently have it set up to unrestricted growth by 500 MB. Should I increase that growth to 1 GB? what would the impact of this change be? what are best practices when it comes to setting up autogrowth for MDF and LDF files?

Thanks,

CarlosI have a SQL 2005 DB that its MDF file is growing at a rate of 1 GB per day, I currently have it set up to unrestricted growth by 500 MB. Should I increase that growth to 1 GB? what would the impact of this change be? what are best practices when it comes to setting up autogrowth for MDF and LDF files?

Thanks,

Carlos

I generally allow dbs that are smaller that 20 GB to autogrow by the default setting (10%). But once they get above that size, I manage them manually and ensure that there is enough empty space in the datafile to get through until the next maintenance window.

Growing a data file in SQL 2005 is not as expensive (IO wise) as it was in SQL 2000, but I still think you want to keep a closer eye on things once they get above 20 GB. 20 GB is admittedly arbitrary. If you have space issues, you might consider a lower threshold.

Regards,

hmscott|||It depends on what your database is used for. Mine are configured to grow by several hundred MB\ a few GB but that is because there are small numbers of massive modifications. An OLTP database should not, IMHO, be growing that much each time. The user that submitted the modification that triggers a 500MB growth could be twiddling their thumbs for quite some time cursing the system as they do.

I too would manage the growth at peak periods with a view to eliminating\ reducing autogrowth as much as possible.|||Your file growth is because of your 500MB setting. When SQL starts to run out of space it will adjust by 500MB. If has to adjust twice a day, there's your 1GB. I think you're fine where you're at. Just make sure you have enough drive space. I'm sure your growth will plateau.

No comments:

Post a Comment